How This Started and My Hope For This Experiment

My Husband and I are both big fans of Jamie Oliver. For Christmas I bought him Jamie's cookbook "Jamie's 30 Minute Meals: A Revolutionary Approach to Cooking Good Food Fast". As I read the preface of his cookbook I was inspired by his ideas. He felt that he was spending too much time cooking during the busy week and doing too much clean up. So he decided that for the week night meals there needed to be something quick and still healthy and yummy. He and his team did a lot of work and made the "30 Minute Meals". He has explicit directions for step by step getting the meal done in 30 min. He tells you what to do first, second, and third so that you have all dishes going at the same time, instead of making it dish by dish. Since we aren't doing once a month cooking right now I was captured by this idea and dying to start trying. I have been spending way too much time in the kitchen during the week and can't wait to be able to prepare good meals fast. My husband was all for it since he loves to eat great food and has a very particular palette. He will be making some of the meals on weekends when he isn't working because, this is after all, his cookbook :)

Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Banoffee Pie

Banoffee Pie p. 170
To be honest the only really appealing thing to me about making this desert was how pretty it looked in the cookbook. Imagine then my disappointment when mine looked pretty good but NOT like the picture. My chocolate would not curl and instead would only shave into little tiny shavings :(
The desert is a combination of pastry, banana, a sort of caramel and whipped cream. I really love to eat bananas and I love banana cake/bread BUT I really don't like banana deserts.





The crust is just a regular pastry crust that you bake in your pastry pan. Then you put your pan on high heat and melt 4 heaped TBS of golden caster sugar into the frying pan until it is melted. Then you blitz 2 bananas with 100mls of milk until it looks like a smoothie. You add that to the pan when the sugar is melted and stir it around just a little bit while it is bubbling. When it turns a dark golden color quickly take it off the heat. It should only take 1-2 min. Then pour it in the pastry case and put it in the fridge or freezer (depending on how long you have) to let it cool.





Peel and finely slice 2 more bananas and lay them on top. Top with 300ml of cream (whipped) and garnish with curls of dark chocolate. Hopefully yours will turn out a little more pretty than mine. Everyone really enjoyed the desert though and said it was wonderful. It was fast and easy and could be really beautiful and impressive. I even liked it, but I would rather eat any one of the other deserts we have made from Jamie's cookbook instead. Although it was good, I still prefer something without banana's.






Here is the link on how to make the pie. I wish I had seen this before I made mine. It is quite helpful- Enjoy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dypZS3Uj3r0

No comments:

Post a Comment